By Rachel Lankester, Mutton Club editor
It can be so empowering to let your hair go its natural color as you age. Natural gray hair has become a popular trend in recent years, with many women embracing their natural hair color rather than constantly dyeing it. This can be a hard thing to do at first, but with the right hairstyle, gray or silver hair can look absolutely stunning.
Many women who choose to go gray find it’s a liberating experience, as they’re no longer tied to the constant upkeep of coloring their hair. Just imagine not plastering your head with all those chemicals too – that has to be better for us, right?
You’ll save time and money too! No more having to invest in hair color every six weeks or risk your roots showing. In this article, we showcase some of the best natural gray hairstyles and provide tips on how to care for your natural gray hair.
Aren’t these some lovely styles to consider!
Hairstyle Ideas for Natural Gray Hair
There are many hairstyle options for natural gray hair, from short and sassy, to long and flowing. It pays to get a great cut which can make all the difference. Here are a few ideas to consider:
1. Short Pixie Cut: A short pixie cut can be a bold and stylish choice for natural gray hair. It’s low-maintenance and can be styled in a variety of ways.
2. Bob: A bob is a classic hairstyle that works well with natural gray hair. It can be styled straight or wavy, and can be customized to fit your face shape.
3. Shoulder-Length Waves: Shoulder-length waves are a beautiful option for natural gray hair. They add volume and texture to your hair, and can be styled with or without bangs. Who needs Botox when you can have bangs!
4. Updo: An updo can be a sophisticated option for natural gray hair. It’s perfect for special occasions or when you want to look your best.
Tips for Caring for Natural Gray Hair
If you’re considering going gray, or have already, here are a few tips to help you care for your natural gray hair, which may need some extra attention:
1. Use a Moisturizing Shampoo: Gray hair tends to be dry and brittle, so it’s important to use a moisturizing shampoo that will help keep your hair hydrated.
2. Use a Deep Conditioner: Gray hair can be difficult to manage, so using a deep conditioner once a week can help keep your hair soft and manageable.
3. Use a Leave-in Conditioner: A leave-in conditioner can help protect your hair from damage caused by heat styling and other environmental factors.
4. Use Heat Protectant Spray: If you use heat styling tools, be sure to use a heat protectant spray to minimize damage to your hair.
5. Trim Your Hair Regularly: Regular trims can help keep your hair healthy and prevent split ends.
6. Avoid Over Washing: Washing your hair too often can strip it of its natural oils, which can make it look dull and lifeless.
7. Embrace Your Natural Texture: Gray hair can have a unique texture, so embrace it! If your hair is naturally curly, now could be the time to let rip – in all your curls’ glory! Experiment with different hairstyles and products to find what works best for you.
I hope you’re inspired by some of the styles here and find our care tips useful. I reckon you’ll also love All The Silver Hair Ladies – Who Ditched Dyeing Their Hair, our profile of some gorgeous Silver Sisters on Instagram, pictured above, who inspire other women every day with their glorious silver locks. Going gray can be a liberating chance to embrace your natural beauty and save money on salon visits too. Caring for your natural gray hair requires some extra attention, but the results can be wonderful. Enjoy!
Rachel Lankester is the founder of Magnificent Midlife, author, host of the Magnificent Midlife Podcast, a midlife mentor and editor of the Mutton Club online magazine. After an initially devastating early menopause at 41, she dedicated herself to helping women vibrantly transition through the sometimes messy middle of life, helping them cope better with menopause and ageing in general, and create magnificent next chapters. She’s been featured in/on BBC Woman’s Hour, The Huffington Post, The Sunday Times, Thrive Global, Authority Magazine, The Age Buster, Woman’s Weekly, Prima Magazine, eShe, Tatler HK and Woman’s Own amongst others. She believes we just get better with age. Get her book Magnificent Midlife: Transform Your Middle Years, Menopause and Beyond which was recommended in the New York Times.
Last Updated on June 4, 2023 by Editorial Staff